Re: Amazing...

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_idt.net>
Date: Wed Jul 22 1998 - 00:13:30 EDT

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Clay Cowgill wrote:
>
> > Did anyone else happen to notice the Return of the Jedi game in the
> > sit-down Star Wars cabinet on E-bay? It went for $2225... *gasp*
>
> There's a sucker born every minute.

not a sucker, a Star Wars collector.

Those games are worth a TON to SW collectors.. There is a book that
is the "bible" for all SW collectors that came out about 4 years ago, and
it lists SW URs from $800 to $2000! ROTJ is at $1200 I think, and for the
ESB kit it says to add about $600 to the price of SW.

so my advice is: if you have a SW machine FS, sell it in a Star Wars NG! I
posted there just to test the waters over a year ago, and I had at least 4
people who were seriously considering paying $2k for a SW machine..

I had a location in a science fiction store for about a year, and I
operated a SW and an ESB machine in there.. they weren't really for sale,
but I had an extra SW machine sitting around that was a TOTAL piece of
crap, the side art wasfull of sratches and gouges, the monitor had really
bad burn-in and was dim, the controller overlay was half missing, and the
marquee was actually a Xevious marquee that had a SW marquee (taken from
an ESB conversion) glued back in place.

It looked like crap, but I put up a sign in the store, and within 48 hours
I sold it for $800! I told the buyer it is not in nearly as good of shape
as many SW machines are, but he didn't care and I gave him a 3 month
waranty to boot, so he was cool about it.

I almost felt bad about selling it, but he wanted it bad and I needed the
money..

I didn't want to sell the machines I operated (and they had people asking
to buy them every 10 min), so I told the store staff
to say the price was $2k or more.. Then whenever ads in the paper showed
up for SW, the price was always like $1200, and it said, compare to $2000
elsewhere! pretty funny how I ended up driving the price up even though I
wasn't selling them..

 Jeff