RE: Color Asteroids (was reproduction artwork...)

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 15:12:12 EDT

> Clay. It amazes me how you get all this stuff done. I barely had time
> complete the little LV2000 project...

time_free = ( no kids + wife at aerobics for an hour every night + stay
up late :-)

(Weird trivia... if you have the word "free" as the first word on a
line, the listprocessor bounces your e-mail... :-)

> Anyway, I second the note from Brendan. You should post this mod.
> Would
> love to give it a try on my Ast.Dlx! Now if I just had a spare color
> XY...

I'll have to dig it up. It was another of my projects that I wasn't
sure I could make my money back on it if I did a production run of it.
The original plan was to make an adapter and daughtercard that would let
you plug Asteroids into a Tempest cabinet and play with the vertical
screen and the tempest spinner knob. Fire was fire, superzapper was
thrust and P2 start was hyperspace... A PIC read the Tempest spinner
and with a PAL made an eight-bit "rotation" value available to the code.
Code changes put the Asteroids score on the new "top" or the screen.
But then I got an Asteroids cab for free, so I lost interest in my
"conversion kit"...

It'll take me a while to get the stuff out. If more than a few people
were interested in the "color Asteroids" thing I'd do a protorun of
boards and burn the required PLD. (It should work on Lunar Lander and
AstDlx too.) I could make a partial kit with the PCB and PLD and then
you add your own resistors, transistors, etc... Probably be like $15-20
for the PCB and programmable part. It's just complex enough that
point-to-point or wire-wrap would kinda suck. (Actually, rumor has it
that we *do* have one of those PCB prototyper's in the other building
now, so maybe I could do some single-sided stuff on that for cheap...)

-Clay