Re: (Color Asteroids (was reproduction artwork...)

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Mon Aug 03 1998 - 13:58:09 EDT

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998 10:27:01 -0700 , Clay Cowgill <ClayC@diamondmm.com> wrote:

>> Did't one of the cinematronic games that was produced as a b&w game
>> end up
>> being a color game and worked this way? (I think it was war of the
>> worlds)
>>
>Dunno about WoW (Zonn?), but as I recall Boxing Bugs just loaded the
>colors into a latch.

War of the Worlds was produced as a color game, but was test marketed with a B&W
monitor in a converted Star Castle cabinet. Unfortunately (or actually
fortunately -- if you've ever played the game) it never made it past test
marketing.

The ROMs supported the full color of the Boxing Bug color card, and when used to
drive a B&W monitor you end up with no intensity controls, all the vectors on
the B&W version of War of the Worlds are high intensity only.

Unfortunately (most) Cinematronics B&W games only used two intensities so Clay's
intensity to color mapping won't do you much good here. Even in the games that
support multi-intensities they make heavy use of fading so you would end up with
a rainbow of flickering colors instead of a nice fades in Solar Quest and
Sundance (the only multi-intensity B&W games).

The best bet for getting color in Cinematronics games is to hack the ROMs, now
if I only had a job like Clay's were I had time to do these sort of things...

....So, Clay, You're company wouldn't be looking for any embedded system software
engineers would they? ;^)

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically