Re: Star Wars - flyback suggestions?

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Mon Aug 17 1998 - 12:40:49 EDT

Hi Dave!

Dave Turner wrote:

> Hi! Some more info on my game. Would appreciate any suggestions for
> repair! More information below:
> that VR1 is cracked and smoking. Put the second board in there, no
> smoke, but nothing. No neck glow or picture. Checked R12 on both HV
> boards and it's good. Where do I start to see if the HV transformers are
> bad?

We shall be carrying a flyback testor here in the very near future, like
a week or two, that can tell easily if a flyback is good. Otherwise you
will need an audio signal generator, an audio amplifier capable of about
twenty volts output, and a scope. The audio sig gen is set to 19Khz (for
this flyback), and then you look at the output of one of the midvoltage
taps. It should be similar to the input image, but larger. If you can
generate a square wave, so much the better...

John :-#)#

ps, there is always my raster hack. Heck you just need to find some
operator with a monitor with a broken neck on the tube...should be able
to score a good chassis for around $50US or so.

 mailto:jrr_at_flippers.com, web page http://www.flippers.com