Re: Star Wars - flyback suggestions?

From: Dave Turner <david_at_hiwaay.net>
Date: Mon Aug 17 1998 - 07:21:02 EDT

Hi! Some more info on my game. Would appreciate any suggestions for
repair! More information below:

Joseph J. Welser wrote:
> First, open up the back and see what kind of monitor is in there.
> Odds are decent that it is actually a Wells-Gardner and not an Amplifone
> in there. If it is actually a Wells, chances are that the flyback is NOT
> bad. One other option is to wait for Aubrey at Zanen to put his Amplifone
> flybacks on the market. ==snip==

Well, it is definatly and Amplifone. I also have two HV boards with the
red HV transformer. Plugged the first in and smoke everywhere. Found
that VR1 is cracked and smoking. Put the second board in there, no
smoke, but nothing. No neck glow or picture. Checked R12 on both HV
boards and it's good. Where do I start to see if the HV transformers are
bad?

> Joe
> ==snip==
> One other option is to find a WG monitor, if it actually is an Amplifone in
> there, and swap it in. Then sell/trade me the Amplifone ;-)

Sell it to you? Well, I was just going to give it to you! <grin> ;-)
Seriously, I would like to keep the Amplifone as I hear they are good
monitors except for the HV Transformer problem. If the HVT is bad, I
guess I better hope Zanen gets their act together! I am still hoping
that one of the HVT's are good and I just got some bad components.

Thanks! -Dave