Re: Star Wars - flyback suggestions?

From: Joseph J. Welser <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun Aug 16 1998 - 22:22:20 EDT

>Just had to share it with the group that I just picked up my first
>vector game, Star Wars! I would say overall it is at least an 8.5+ of 10
>(on the dave scale <grin>)!

        Way to go!

>It was in better shape than I had hoped, but unfortunatly looks like the
>flyback has gone out. I am not that electronically inclined, so I was
>wondering if someone could point out my options on this. I do know of
>two:
>
>1. Wintron Flyback $160! Yike!

        Actually, I think these are up to $190 right now.

>2. Some kind of raster monitor parts swap (but I have no other
>monitors).
>
>The key was lost to the back, so I am not sure of the flyback problem
>(can't power it up yet either due to cord cut), but the guy I got it
>from is pretty competent and says it is bad. Anybody have any other
>options for me? I also got another video board, alas, with another dead
>red flyback.

        First, open up the back and see what kind of monitor is in there.
Odds are decent that it is actually a Wells-Gardner and not an Amplifone
in there. If it is actually a Wells, chances are that the flyback is NOT
bad. One other option is to wait for Aubrey at Zanen to put his Amplifone
flybacks on the market. Last I heard (around the beginning of this year)
he had them back and just needed to test them out. <shrug> That was 8
months ago. I think he said the price would be nicely under $100. I
haven't talked to him in a while, but need to order some stuff soon, so
I'll try to find out the scoop if nobody beats me to it.

Joe

BTW: Since this is your first vector game, if you're not sure of the
difference between the WG and Amplifone monitors, the WG looks like a
"normal" raster monitor chassis (i.e. the monitor can be removed from
the cabinet all in one piece.) The Amplifone is in 3 pieces -- The tube,
the deflection board (which is mounted on the Right wall of the cabinet)
and the HV board (which is mounted on the left wall of the cabinet.) One
other option is to find a WG monitor, if it actually is an Amplifone in
there, and swap it in. Then sell/trade me the Amplifone ;-)