RE: Star Wars - flyback suggestions?

From: Mitchell Rohde <bovine_at_eecs.umich.edu>
Date: Mon Aug 17 1998 - 16:38:52 EDT

 Er... I still don't nesc buy it. A shorted winding or two on the primary
will be very obvious with a meter, and it may be trickier on the
secondary....

 but a wrap or two on the secondary won't make the flyback unusable... and
if it is a short across (for instance) a significant portion of the
secondary coil, the resistance will show it.

 The only failure mode I can think of that a live test (with a high freq.
signal) might get above and beyond a meter test is a bit of insulation in
the secondary that has broken down (fine under no power, but a high
voltage arc in the secondary when in operation).

 Not to belabor the point, but...

                Mitch