Re: Anyone know...

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Mon Aug 24 1998 - 22:22:29 EDT

Hi~

Well, interesting enough, when the game Tetris came out there was a BIG
run on POKEY chips, distributor that I know was buying up all the POKEYs
they could find. Now a little later would come a clone Tetris with Atari
POKEY chips on them. Curious... However where this is leading to is I
have a couple of TETRIS clones that do NOT use POKEYs. They use a 8748
micro! Now the qestion is, what about that? Is the Pokey nothing more
than an interestingly mapped 8748 family CPU? I think I still have one
of those kicking around the shop, and perhaps an IC geru would like to
"borrow" it and figure out what was done. Having found out that the math
chips in BattleZone, Tempest and others are just an AMD mmu chip that is
available for $1.50 from BG Micro, I am wondering what other ICs that
have "house" numbers are hiding. Anyone live near Atari and on good
terms with Al?

John :-#)#

 mailto:jrr_at_flippers.com, web page http://www.flippers.com