Re: Startrek Sitdown questions

From: Ed Henciak <ethst3+_at_pitt.edu>
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 18:31:28 EDT

Do not assume the monitor to be bad...do not go diving right for the
monitor...Again...DO NOT ASSUME THE MONITOR IS BAD (I screwed up my first
deflection board bad for no reason...)

They are correct....check all the wiring first. That was my problem.
Specifically, unbolt the game at the halfway point. Check the connections
there. You may have to fish around the little holes to pull the molex
connectors out. Start there and work your way back.

Actually, the very first thing you should do is swap the original supply
with a switching PS. Save the original for audio amplification, but use
all the DC voltages from the switcher to power the boardset. Now, you are
going to need to get rid of the need of the AC voltage on the
boardset...tie one end of R7 (I believe this is it) on the CPU board to
+5V on a 74LS IC near the resistor. That's it!

Another thing, are you getting the nice Star Trek theme on power up? If
not, you may have something wrong with your sound or speech board, or the
boardset might no be running. Push that little red plunger down on the
CPU board...if it blinks on and off real fast, you're probably OK...if it
toggles or 'pulses out numbers', you have a problem with your vector RAM.

I cannot recommend enough switching out that crummy linear supply and
replacing it with a switching PS (John of John's jukes recommended this to
me). I like having all original games, but that PS is crummy.

Keep us posted.

Ed