RE: Startrek Sitdown questions

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 19:28:07 EDT

> Another thing, are you getting the nice Star Trek theme on power up?
> If
> not, you may have something wrong with your sound or speech board, or
> the
> boardset might no be running. Push that little red plunger down on
> the
> CPU board...if it blinks on and off real fast, you're probably OK...if
> it
> toggles or 'pulses out numbers', you have a problem with your vector
> RAM.

Other stuff to do... No sound could be a variety of problems (loose
wires, dead audio amp, etc.). A bad power supply can also take out the
monitor quickly, so you may want to disconnect the monitor and fire
everything up and check the voltages at the card-cage.

Music on power-up is a good indication that the CPU is working, but a
bad sound board (particularly the USB) can screw up the whole game. Try
removing the sound and speech boards and powering up with the monitor
on-- see if you get a picture then. If you have an oscilloscope all the
better-- connect the scope in X-Y mode and watch the outputs on the
video board directly.

> I cannot recommend enough switching out that crummy linear supply and
> replacing it with a switching PS (John of John's jukes recommended
> this to
> me). I like having all original games, but that PS is crummy.

Yep, I'll agree-- I haven't done it yet on my sitdown yet, but it's on
the "todo" list...

-Clay