Re: Please help with Amplifone monitor for Quantum

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 22:37:41 EDT

<< Did you replace ALL the transistors and any discolourd resistors? I
 assume that the caps you replaced were all 105degree ones.
 Did you turn the HV pot all the way down, that is counterclockwise? The
 red LED is the OverVoltage indicator, and it can be triggered by either
 a problem in the HV regulation OR a problem with the wiring on the
 Screen/Focus control. >>

Hello John,

     Thanks a bunch for the great advice. I did test all components before
installing the WinTron HV unit, but I didn't replace them all. I think I'm
going to do this, and then try again. How can I test the screen focus control?
How could this be wired incorrectly?

>>If you have a variable power supply you might try powering the puppie up
gradually and scoping the 183V line to see what happens. That's what I
do with a problem unit...
The Game board should be disconnected for these tests, and short the
inputs to the monitor XY lines to ground. This will give NO deflection
to the output transistors, much like running an audio amp with a shorted
input there is no danger of damage (well almost no danger).<<

I don't have a variable power supply, but I would like to test the 183v line.
Where is this located? Thanks for the advice about disconecting the game PCB.

Thanks Again,
Michael Kelley