Please help with Amplifone monitor for Quantum

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 09:24:41 EDT

Hello,

     Please help if you can. I've got an Amplifone monitor that I just can't
seem to get going. I've installed a new WinTron HV transformer, and installed
Zannen kit. The game PCB is producing good x and y signals. I'm getting no
spot
killer, and I can hear deflection chatter coming from the yoke. (spot killer
does light at power-up for an instant like it should.) I'm getting no HV, no
heater glow. I've replaced the BU406D on the HV board, and also have replaced
the 7824 and 7924. The "overvoltage" light comes on frequently from the HV
board, but after tweaking the pots on the HV board, the most HV we could get
was 8-10 KV, while hearing a wierd hiss from the anode. We did check both post
on the HV board, they test good. The anode is pluged in to the tube, and is
tight. While watching the meter (HV probe installed under the anode) the HV
began to climb to a more "normal" range (approached 18kv), the anode just
started to make a more "normal" power up sound, then we heard something pop
that sounded like it came from the deflection board. Now there is no HV at
all.
     What goes to pin #2 when installing the WinTron HV transformer? (This is
the former pin #2 on the HV board that was used by the old HV transformer.)
According to Gregg's faq, pin #2 has nothing connected to it. Also, I have an
earlier Amplifone HV board that has 2 locations labled as "heater". I've got
the grey wire (from the WinTron HV unit) attatched to the "htr" location to
the
left of the brightness knob. I've installed the new HV transformer just like
the Faq says. What are some of the other components should check on the HV
board & deflection board?
    When the older Amplifone HV units blow, what parts usually go out with it
(Aside from the Bu406d?) Can the old HV unit also blow components on the
deflection board when it goes?
     Can somebody please tell me where I should be measuring voltages on the
deflection board (and HV board) so I can figure this out? Please help if you
can, I'm really stuck on this.

Thanks Very Much,
Michael Kelley