RE: Sega Multigame default game

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 14:30:07 EDT

> Has anyone on the list figured a way to get the Sega Multigame to
> default to
> your desired game? I put it in a Eliminator, it always comes up as
> Eliminator. I changed all the graphics and controls to Zektor. In
> order to
> avoid prying open the front door all the time, it would be really
> great to
> have it come up as Zektor.

I kinda had a theory that you could put some ~10K pullup/pulldown
resistors on the bank select latch and trick it into latching in a
particular bank at powerup... Dunno if that would work in practice or
not. Easy enough to try though.

The other thing that might work would be to use an 8-bit latch with an
async-reset input as the bank select latch. (Does a '273 have that?
Might not need to change much if it does...) Have the power-on-reset
signal yank the latch to the zero bank, and then just have a little stub
of code that sets the new bank and jumps to the desired "default" game
entry point (0x0000). You'd have to get rid of one of the "extra" games
though to make room for the "boot" bank. (Maybe replace 4-player
Eliminator or something.)

-Clay