Re: G08 power supply

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_Agouron.COM>
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 16:43:34 EDT

David Shuman wrote:

> Try owning a Defender machine for a couple years. After you replace six
> dozen fried 4116 RAM chips, you'll see why swapping the Williams power
> supply with a switcher is an acceptable solution even for a purist.

Hear Hear! Damn things went in bunches. My compromise was getting the
original power supply working, then not using it ;-) Build the adapter
plug to the switcher and plug the harness into it. That way, when Mark
drops by, you can hide your Playstation, disconnect the switcher, and
plug it back into the original supply ;-)

Seriously, I think it is more important to preserve the working aspects
of the machines than to be a purist on components (I lost the original
fuses in my games long ago). The linear supplies are a time bomb
waiting to trash your electronics. Avoid the problem...

Ray

NB please note the new e-mail address: ray@agouron.com Contrary to
popular belief, the reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.
I'm close enough to unpacking my games after the move that I can
actually raise my head without feeling shame ;-) If any San Diego area
collectors are looking to bulk buy a LOT of boards and parts (vector and
otherwise), I could really use the space in my garage...