Re: G08 power supply

From: David Shuman <dshuman_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 19:34:49 EDT

Mark Jenison wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2:54pm, Clay Cowgill wrote:
> > The part that's probably giving you the problem is the brick-sized metal
> > box with the aluminum heatsink on it marked "G-80 Power Supply". If you
> > just swap that part out for the improved "PC switching Power Supply" it
> > should be all better... ;-)
>
> ...except for the lack of audio amplification. Like I have audio amps lying
> around! :-)

That's why you use both the old G-80 power supply alongside the new
switching
supply. Check it out:

1. Leave the input plug to the old supply intact, then clip all the
wires
off the old PS's output plug except the AC voltage (which you leave
connected;
I forget what color that wire is) and one ground.

2. Use wire nuts to splice the harness voltage wires (the ones you just
disconnected from the old PS) to the new power supply.

3. Connect the 120 VAC input to the new power supply directly to the
power
switch or the 120 VAC transformer lugs.

And there you have it. A reliable (if non-original) power supply that
still
provides audio amplification. Truth is, the audio amp portion of the
G-80
unit works just fine; it's only the voltage regulation circuitry that is
prone to failure.

> > > Anyone happen to have a spare working G08 power supply (from a raster
> > > or vector
> > > game)?

I'm telling you, Mark, you don't want it. :-)

> > > I know, I know; I should put in a switching supply, but damnit, I'm a
> > > sucker
> > > for dedicated hardware :-)

Try owning a Defender machine for a couple years. After you replace six
dozen fried 4116 RAM chips, you'll see why swapping the Williams power
supply with a switcher is an acceptable solution even for a purist.

--
Dave Shuman