Re: G08 power supply

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 09:42:27 EDT

On Sep 22, 2:54pm, Clay Cowgill wrote:
> Subject: RE: G08 power supply
> > Anyone have any ideas on which part is most likely to be causing the
> > symptom
> > I'm seeing?
> >
> The part that's probably giving you the problem is the brick-sized metal
> box with the aluminum heatsink on it marked "G-80 Power Supply". If you
> just swap that part out for the improved "PC switching Power Supply" it
> should be all better... ;-)

...except for the lack of audio amplification. Like I have audio amps lying
around! :-)

> > Anyone happen to have a spare working G08 power supply (from a raster
> > or vector
> > game)?
> >
> Well, I'm going to yank the (working) G-80 supply out of my sit-down
> Star Trek sometime in the next week or so. I can give you that one if
> you can wait a bit...

You're pulling a perfectly good power supply just because it's going to fail
eventually? Chicken. ;-) What's going to keep you busy if you're games don't
fail from time to time? Oh yeah, there's that color Asteroids mod-Sega free
play-ESB/Ms. Pac/Galaga kit-Wells Garner XY corrector thing you're working on
:-)

> > I know, I know; I should put in a switching supply, but damnit, I'm a
> > sucker
> > for dedicated hardware :-)
> >
> Uh-huh... Sure Mark... Is this the same Mark Jenison pictured at...
>
> http://www.spies.com/arcade/photos/jenison/image02.jpg
>
> ...next to that fine example of a, uhhhh, dedicated, uhhhh,
> Franken-cabinet? ;-)

That's a dedicated Xenophobe...with a new monitor, control panel, power supply
and wiring harness. See what happens to dedicated games once you start
upgrading the hardware! ;-)

> Now that I've harassed Mark a bit... I ordered another handful of
> StarWars<->ESB kit prototypes. I'm trying those Augat "pin receptical"
> sockets (like the original ESB daughtercard used) for the 6809 and the
> 2212. Since the holes need to be pretty big there isn't much room
> between the pins. I had to go to .008" trace widths to fit stuff
> between the pins, so I'll have to see if that causes production problems
> for the "affordable" PCB manufacturers or not.

Is this a new version, or a re-run of version 1.1? What's the difference?

Also, whatever happened to that color Asteroids mod you were talking about?

PS. Save that power supply just in case...

________________ The One and Only 4-player vector game
                            with the worlds crappiest power supply