G08 power supply

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 15:29:39 EDT

Hi again all,

Well, thanks to Rick Schieve for giving me a spare G08 vector tube, and a
replacement G08 HV unit from Tom Wisonski, now have a working vector monitor
for my Tac/Scan.

However, the only thing keeping me from playing it is the infamous G08 power
supply. All voltages read fine until I plug it into the game cage, at which
point the +5VDC drops to nearly 0VDC. The board cage is fine (tested it in my
Eliminator), so it's not being shorted out by the boardset. Apparently the
+5VDC is failing on becoming loaded. I had a previous power supply with the
same problem, but found a replacement so I didn't have to deal with it. Well,
now I'd like to repair them. Any ideas? Both have the TIP141 replaced, which
leaves only diodes, filter caps, an LM723, and a 2N4403 transistors and some
resistors and caps. The diodes check out.

Anyone have any ideas on which part is most likely to be causing the symptom
I'm seeing?

Anyone happen to have a spare working G08 power supply (from a raster or vector
game)?

I know, I know; I should put in a switching supply, but damnit, I'm a sucker
for dedicated hardware :-)

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL