RE: G08 power supply

From: Toseland, Chris <chris.toseland_at_ntu.ac.uk>
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 11:49:29 EDT

For my ten pence worth in the Linear / Switcher discussion.

I've worked on switchers for nearly 10 years and I've seen just about every
possible mode of failure and believe me if the opto coupler between the
primary and seconday sides goes open circuit you can wave goodbye to
anything connected to +5 on the output 'cos that suckers thinks the +5 is
about 0.6V and goes into overdrive to try to get the feedback (and by
default the +5) back to what it thinks is normal. The first you know about
it is a couple of loud bangs as the output caps go into orbit. We used to
call the Switcher covers 'Blast sheilds' and for good reason.

Whatever you fit you could be in for a melt down. If you want to fit a
linear fit a zener crowbar circuit across the output of it to protect your
+5 by blowing the fuse before it does to much damage.

Chris