Re: G08 power supply

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 11:15:22 EDT

In my experience a linear supply is much more reliable than a switcher.
It may weight 25 lbs. but
it seems like if you fix all the cold solder joints and the burned molex
connectors that are
classic problems with the Williams power supplies (after 10 years mind
you) you will have a nice
rock solid beast of a power supply. I would take that over a switcher
any day. I tried putting a
switcher into my Major Havoc once and while it did work nicely, there
was some noticable noise in
the vectors.
  Also, a switcher can indeed fail and send overvoltage on the +5V, I
have seen it happen. :-(

jess