Re: Eproms

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel-r_at_an.hp.com>
Date: Tue Oct 13 1998 - 10:40:07 EDT

As Kurt pointed out, there are two useful numbers on the Atari EPROMS. One
number is the EPROM type, such as TMS2716 and this number is stenciled onto the
chip. The other number is the ID of one chip from a SET of chips that belong
to that game. This number is found on a sticker covering the chip. There's
also a date code stenciled on the chip, usually in the format YYWW, i.e. 8325,
(1983, week 25), that's not to be confused with the EPROM type.

Different games use a variety of EPROMS. Tempest uses a bunch of 2716's, but
one version uses 2732's. Starwars uses 27128's, and 27256's. The game you are
interested in may use more than one type of EPROM. The actual EPROM type
depends on which EPROM you are referring to, i.e. the one in socket U207, or
the one in socket U208 ...

Joel-