RE: Dedicate Major Havoc rollers

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Oct 20 1998 - 12:36:48 EDT

I was thinking about trying it-- a quick visual inspection seems to
indicate that the Kick(man) controller has a lot fewer "teeth" than a a
Major Havoc roller, so you'd probably need to either spin the ball more
or change out the interrupter wheel to get more "clocks per spin". :-)

Seems like a roller controller would be a relatively easy thing to make.
Have a plastic shop lathe a nice "roller" shape out of some translucent
plastic. I'd be inclined to just drill it through the center, mount a
shaft through it and use a couple trackball bearings and one-axis of the
trackball encoder to finish it off.

I have a prototype Major Havoc roller-controller-- the "roller" actually
sat on two trackballbearings and has no center-shaft. Is that how it
was for the production one? (Anyone have an exploded view of a Major
Havoc roller controller online?)

It wouldn't be too bad to make a latex mould and cast a resin "frame"
for a roller-controller. Just make it accomodate a standard diamater
shaft with roller and use trackball parts from Happ. Probably be
relatively expensive to produce in low numbers though. Be kinda neat to
try...

-Clay