Re: TECH Q: W-G deflection PCB in Space Duel

From: Dave Downin <downin_at_smarty.smart.net>
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 00:23:19 EDT

> The burnt component is R100, which turns out to be part of the
> low-voltage supply. A quick check with a VOM confirms that Q100 is
> completely shorted across both junctions...
>
> Question: is this just a random failure, or is there something else in
> the system which might _cause_ this - and thus, cause it to happen again
> once I replace the bad components in the low-voltage section - that I
> should be sure to check?

I can't say for sure what caused it to smoke, but if you are so inclined, you
may wish to buy an install a Zannen cap kit (#206) as well as an LV2000 (low
voltage retrofit) on your monitor. The combination of these 2 should give you
an almost indestructible monitor.

Visit: http://www.diac.com/~jeffh/lv2000/ as well as
       http://www.amug.org/~necro/video/zanen206.html

--
Dave Downin (dave@arlo.net)
        "Sorry, the world is nuts.  It can't be helped" - Arlo Guthrie