Help: Tempest monitor problems

From: Dan Rasmussen <dras_at_telco.stratus.com>
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 00:32:56 EDT

Hi All,

I'm usually lurking and get alot out of that but I have a problem
with my W-G deflection PCB in my Tempest. You all helped me get
my Star Wars monitor fixed. I hope you can do the same for my
Tempest.

I got the machine with
a dead monitor a while back and have finally gotten around to working
on it. Anyway, I installed a cap kit and an LV-2000. The LV-2000
lights up and trimmed out fine according to the instructions but
I'm getting a spot killer light. When I crank up the H-V adjustment,
I see that I am getting vertical devlection (vertical when I look at
the screen oriented like a tv set). I checked to make sure I am
getting a vertical and horizontal signal into the deflection board and I
am. Fuses are good. I tested all the diodes and transistors in-circuit
using the diode test function on my meter (beeps one way but not
the other). I used this method with my amplifone monitor a while
back and it seemed to find my problems but not on this one. Oh yeah,
I also replaced all the U07's and U57's. I also checked all the
resistors in-circuit for opens/shorts.

One other thing worth noting. When I got the board, R600, R700,
R706, and R606 were missing and I replaced them according the the
schematic. For some reason R606 and R706 are different values
in their respective sections of the X/Y deflection. Is this correct?

I started poking around with a scope but I'm rather clueless here,
maybe this info will help:

No signal at R710, good signal at R610.
Much weaker signal at Q703 than Q603.

Last possible clue (and this is probably meaningless), when I shut
the game down, one of the lights on the LV2000 goes out right away,
the other fades away very slowly. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dan Rasmussen
dras@sw.stratus.com