Re: Help: Tempest monitor problems

From: Dan Rasmussen <dras_at_telco.stratus.com>
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 10:04:34 EST

Hi All,

I figured I would update the list on my tempest monitor....

As you may recall I was getting no X deflection on my Tempest
monitor after installing a cap kit and an LV-2000. The monitor had
no vertical or horizontal deflection prior to install the kits but had
good HV. I tested all the components on the x-side in-circuit when I
made the posting and ended up removing and testing all the transistors
and diodes after the posting. Everything was fine. I _did_ look at
all the vertical pins and they all looked fine. I even re-flowed the
solder on all of them. Finally, I was following the signal through
the board with my scope and found that it got to F700 but not to R714.
A later continuity check revealed that a traces were broken at more
than one of the vertical pins associated with J701 (I think). Once
fixed, all was fine and I was playing Tempest again after 12+ years.

I have read about problems with vertical pins many times but I guess
I never really learned it until now. Next time I will do continuity
checks across all traces that intersect vertical pin connections.

My son had his 7th birthday party the next day and I had a basement
full of kids playing Tempest, Star Wars, Xevious, and Gorf. They all
had great fun but the lines were at the Star Wars machine. Sadly, after
the party was over, SW lost HV :(. What are the chances its not its
red HV transformer? I haven't looked at it yet.

Thanks very much to Joel R. for all the help and moral support.

Dan Rasmussen
dras@sw.stratus.com