Re: Help with a newly acquired Tempest.

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 05 1998 - 10:58:57 EST

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Bowles, Brian wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am new to the vector list and to vector arcade machines. I have three
> restored raster games, but these vector systems are quite a different
> matter. The tempest that I have comes up, but the screen
> (http://www.cs.ius.indiana.edu/AK/Brian/web_docs/P000918.jpg and
> http://www.cs.ius.indiana.edu/AK/Brian/web_docs/P000919.jpg )resembles
> lightning more than the tempest screen. Does anyone have any ideas as to
> what causes this problem and what I might do to fix it? Also this cabinet,
> ( http://www.cs.ius.indiana.edu/AK/Brian/web_docsP000907.jpg ) is quite
> different from the ones I played in the arcades. Is this what they refereed
> to as the cabaret, or is this some kind of retro fit? Thanks for your help!

Brian,

        Yes, that is a cabaret cabinet.

        You have a problem with the deflection circuitry in your
monitor. That's about all I can say, because I've seen the problem
before, and most of the time, it is a problem with the deflection
amps on the deflection board, but once, I found the problem to be a
bad deflection yoke.

        Try to get ahold of a good deflection board somewhere (you
might have to pay a nice chunk of cash for it) and then either:

        1) Swapping in the new, good def. board will completely
fix the problem

        or 2) You'll know it's the deflection yoke that is the
problem.

        If it makes you feel any better, I have 2 or 3 deflection
boards that I need to fix right now with the same symptoms.

Joe