Re: Plastic moulding

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu Nov 05 1998 - 17:07:06 EST

On Nov 5, 1:35pm, Clay Cowgill wrote:
> Subject: RE: Plastic moulding
> [...casting resin to remanufacture obsolete parts...]
>
> > That sounds good to me.
> >
> Were Blaster sticks the same as used on Inferno? I might be able to
> talk Mike into making some moulds if someone has a stick they want to
> loan me... (The silicone and resins all "spoil" if you don't use them
> within a day or so, so you have to kind do everything at once.)

Yes, I believe Inferno has the same joysticks.

I have located someone who would be willing to loan me their Blaster joystick.
 I have half of one, so he'd probably want me to prove the process with my half
of the joystick and not destroy it (proof of concept). If that worked out,
then we could do the whole thing with his.

> > I was hoping maybe some hobby kit was available. Oh well.
> >
> You need a lot of pressure to shoot liquid plastic. And a lot of heat.
> Those two usually mean a metal mould, which is pretty hard to make

I was thinking more along the lines of like baked clay moulds, where you would
make a mould out of clay or something, oven fire it with a kiln, then put some
plastic in there that would melt in the mould in the kiln...I don't know...I'm
a retard. :-)

> > Yeah, the handles have checker/dimples on them.
> >
> Sounds like a resin-casting would be the way to go...
>
> We were trying to come up with some stuff that would be neat to
> reproduce for vector games, but there really wasn't much of anything we
> could think of. Any ideas?

Oh yes! I called Mazzco today and they said Williams (which bought Atari) is
no longer going to make the Tempest Knobs, and they couldn't locate any other
places that had them for sale. I don't know how much they would cost to make,
but I've seen them selling for like $10 on the net lately, so if cost would be
around there, that would be good.

So like I said, I can get a Blaster joystick, and I'm sure someone can come up
with a decent Tempest knob. If your friend can help us out, that would be
great!

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL