RE: XY as Audio

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat Nov 07 1998 - 23:11:06 EST

        Dumb question, and someone might've suggested this already
(I haven't been following this too closely) but why not, instead
of coming up with an audio signal to create some predictable video
signal, why not just use the deflection board/monitor chassis as
an audio amp (which is essentially what it is) and listen to the
outputs. If it's working properly, you should get out what you
put in, and you should be able to recognize it.

        The only trick is getting the right level for the input,
and then you'd need some sort of differential to single-ended
converter, because most speakers want single-ended inputs, while
the outputs to the yoke are differential. I can see some board
that plugs into the output to the yoke, which just has a diff ->
single ended converter (a couple of op-amps and resistors -- our
apps. guys put them on our eval. boards all the time at Crystal..
errr, I mean Cirrus Logic -- Austin :) ) and a speaker. It should
actually be pretty easy, and should work -- unless I'm missing
something.

        Of course, it doesn't test the HV, neck board, etc, but
it might be a real nice way to test deflection boards/chassis.

Joe