Feasible?

From: Steven D. Gray <steveg_at_cohesionsc.com>
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 20:29:41 EST

I just joined this list and my arcade collection is small: Asteroids Deluxe
cocktail and Star Wars cockpit (given room constraints and the fact that
vector games are so unique, I'm just collecting vector games). This email is
a test, but I also wanted to throw this out to everyone to see if what I am
about to embark on is possible:

Goal: Take the 19" W-G vector monitor in my Star Wars cockpit and replace it
with a 25" vector monitor.

I've read everything I can get my hands on from the net. I've heard about
the Amplifone HV transformer problems and the problems with getting an
upgraded HV transformer. I considered going this route, but Amplifone parts
seem difficult to come by (surprisingly, since SW cockpits originally came
with them, but since that was the only game to do so, I guess it makes
sense). So, unless someone has a spare Amplifone 25" monitor with upgraded
HV and a deflection board they would be willing to sell, I'm considering
doing the following to achieve my goal. Please let me know if you see any
obstacles or impossibilities in the following:

1) Take a new 25" W-G raster monitor and remove its yoke. I'm considering
getting a refurbished WGR2570 25" from Happ Controls.
2) Take the NOS W-G XY yoke Gregg Woodcock has been gracious enough to offer
to send to me and place it on the 25" CRT.
3) Wire the existing W-G deflection board (for my current 19" vector) to the
W-G XY yoke now on the 25".
4) Wire either the HV board that came with the new monitor OR wire the
original 19" HV board. I'll probably use the new one first since it's likely
to be more reliable and was designed for the 25" monitor in the first place.

Doable? Or am I dreaming? Will I burn my house down? I imagine I can kiss
the UL Approval goodbye after this hack.

My only concern with the above is the swapping of the yokes. Anyone have
pointers to good reference material for aligning the yoke? I know its
tedious, but I think it's going to be necessary.

Thanks. --SG