CPU Get well and AVG replacements

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 20:18:13 EST

> Didnt think so.. I'm sure I could use a few
> AVG controllers, because it will be replacing something that doesn't
> work,
> I cant repair an IC. And I REALLY like the idea of the CPU get well
> kit.
> I could use a few of those for sure.. Clay are you going to make one
> for
> I,Robot?

Just a brief posting that doesn't require asbestos underwear to read.
;-)

So, let's see... I just got a revision 2 board for the CPU Get Well
Kit. I reduced the PCB size by about 25% and hopefully cleared up the
noisy power distribution. If it works OK I'll probably do a run for
sale. Any preference for what games to do first? I'm thinking (6502
only for now):

Asteroids
Asteroids Dlx.
BattleZone
Space Duel
Gravitar/BlackWidow
Missile Command
Centipede
Millipede

(Doesn't need to just be Atari stuff, but they seemed to be the kings of
the 6502...)

The EPROM used is a 27C010 and the high address lines are brought out to
a header, so a Gravitar/Black Widow "multigame" is trivial. (It
actually takes up to a 27C080 in the same socket too if you can find 16
games to run on a Gravitar. ;-) For a Black Widow or Gravitar it's just
a .1" jumper on or off depending on which game you want to run. People
that want to switch just need to hook up a toggle switch.

The AVG replacement is working fine, so of course I have to mess with it
some more. ;-) It's just way too big (physically and parts count-wise)
right now. I think I can get rid of about 6 chips with one CPLD, so I'm
going to try that.

WRT CPU Get Well kits for other processors, I'm thinking of doing Z-80
and 6809 versions if the 6502 one works well in the field.

-Clay