RE: Multi cabinet control panel routing

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Dec 02 1998 - 14:47:48 EST

> I sent mail out to the pic list and got feedback that yea its doable
> but not
> simple. But I did get one piece of mail suggesting I look a the
> Lattice
> Semi. ispGDX / ispGDS parts, these are programmable Generic Digital
> Crosspoint devices specifically designed for signal routing.
> http://www.latticesemi.com/prodinfo/ispgds.html

Hmmmm. I'd still say a 40 pin PIC or Atmel AVR would be
better/easier/faster to do. Lattice is always expensive... But, that
having been said...

> So I ordered there disk and tried to give it a whack. Now I hit the
> snag, I
> don't know how to use the design software (ISP Synario starter), the
> docs
> are for dog snot and I have been floundering for the past 2 months on
> this.

I did the MultiPac design, the Pacman 284 and 285 boards, and all the
ESB and Sega Multigame stuff in Synario/ABEL, so I know how to keep my
head above water with it. (Although my logic reduction for the AVG
replacement isn't going so well at the moment... Grrrr...)

> I thought I would mention it and see if I could get some pointers on
> using
> Synario or maybe someone else with a bit more programmable logic
> design
> experience would like to pick it up. It looks like this would be
> pretty
> much a 1 chip control panel routing solution.

Drop me an e-mail with what you're having trouble with and I'll try to
help...

> If someone can help me I would be glad to contribute to there new
> years beer
> fund :) This is the last part I need to solve to complete a project I
> have
> been working on for nearly 3 years.

I still think a cheap little microcontroller would be best though.
(What are your main requirements? I/O count?)

-Clay