'asl' macro assembler

From: Al Kossow <aek_at_spies.com>
Date: Fri Dec 18 1998 - 17:27:22 EST

I needed to assemble a little chunk of Z80 code, and stumbled upon this
ftp://ftp.ccac.rwth-aachen.de/pub/alf/as/source/c_version/

It is a C macro cross assembler that supports a huge number of processors
(including Atmel AVR and PIC's). I thought it was interesting because this
is the first cross assembler package I've seen that was available as sources
and that supported macros. One problem with it is it doesn't support linking,
but you can break source files up and 'include' them in a main file, which
should be fine.

I guess once you get used to the syntax, it would be handy for people who
end up writing code for bunches of different processor types. That is one
thing that drove me crazy; every assembler i'd use had a different pseudo
op or number base syntax.