RE: home made EPROM erasers

From: Mark Shostak <shostak_at_fastlane.net>
Date: Sat Jan 16 1999 - 19:02:49 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Miller [SMTP:litterbox@netconx.net]

> Since were on the disscusion of EPROM erasers, I
> thought I'd share how I made my own, because
> I didn't want to spend $40 for a DataRase II.

FWIW, I was able to come up with an EPROM eraser
that was both powerful and economical (i.e. cheap).
I bought an old mercury street lamp for $5 at a flea market.
The bulb is contained inside an outer glass filter/casing.
Once you (carefully) remove the outer casing, the bulb
emits an incredible amount of UV!

It will erase as many EPROMs as you want in about
a minute. It'll even erase your neighbors EPROMs
if you don't put it in a box. :)

-Mark

P.S. Looking into an operating street lamp, 2 feet
in front of your face is stupid (I put mine in a closet).