RE: 2114's ->RE: BattleZone probs....

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 14:51:39 EST

> Yeah - the part number was 2114-AL that I used and it gave me
> problems. -
> And yes, funny that Mark would mention checking the roms to make sure
> they
> were seated properly in their sockets. My Battlezone complained about
> bad rom - all I did was push it in with my thumb (I could here a small
> click) and then it was happy.

A lot of those old Atari boards used gold-wipe sockets on ROMs,
processors, and custom IC's. They have a kinda funny metallurgical
reaction with the tinned leads on the IC's-- you get that black (oxide?)
stuff on the pins. The black crap scrapes off pretty easy though, so
removing and replacing the chip is often all that is required to "fix"
some problems...

-Clay