Re: BattleZone probs....

From: Peter Pachla <peter.pachla_at_vectrex.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 19:07:04 EST

Hi Mark,

>I've seen a lot of intermittent ROM "failures" on the BZ/RB board set....
>....DON'T OVERLOOK THE SOCKET!

Yes, I spotted someone mentioning this in here recently....which was one of the
things which spurred me on to have another crack at fixing this beast.

I've bought a complete set of replacement sockets for the ROMs which I intend
to install shortly (even though the existing ones seem to be in excellent
condition). I was toying with the idea of using turned pin sockets however, but
considering the extra cost I'd have to be convinced that there would be an
appreciable reliability increase....I recall having problems some years ago
when using turned pin sockets in prototype equipment.

  <2N3055s>
>They're a dime a dozen.

Yes, I got the wrong end of the stick. Apparently it's the LM-305 which is
supposed to be unavailable....

>Good luck (you'll need it)!

I know, I've been wrestling with this machine for nearly 18 months on and off
now (though granted I'd not touched it for 12 months until the other day). So
far I've fixed some 6 or 7 faults....though three of those were bad RAM chips
which may not have been....

  TTFN - Pete.

--
 Peter Pachla: Computer Hardware & Software Engineer,
               Sound Engineer,