Re: Asteriods SPEAKERS?

From: Jeff Bovee <jbovee_at_voyager.net>
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 15:18:48 EST

Frank,
The speaker 1 and speaker 2 are 180deg out of phase to give you a push-pull
output to the one speaker. The other smaller cutout isn't for a speaker
it's the port to allow air movement which improves the speakers' response
and sound. I wouldn't add additional speakers, it changes the impedance the
amp will see and affects its output transistor. ie adding another 8 ohm
speaker will half the impedance the amp sees to 4 ohms some amp circuits are
not designd to be stable at this level and will cook themselves. It's up to
you, but I wouldn't attempt to add more speakers, Asteroids has pretty good
sound as is.

Hope this helps you out.
Sincerely,
Jeff Bovee

PS I checked out your toasted G05 pic, very nasty, it looks like it got very
hot. I wouldn't be surprised if those resistors need to be pulled and
replaced and that connector should be completely resoldered. High temps are
not good for solder joints, so any of them nearby are candidates for
reflowing. Good luck.