Re: Has anyone heard of or seen Vector "promo" Video Tapes??

From: Kev <Mowerman_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 19:48:28 EST

>Hello Everybody,
>
> I was talking to an older operator about AMOA and CES shows
1979-1984.
>He was telling me that his friend has a bunch of these video tapes that he
>would be willing to sell me from different manufacturers. They were kind of
>like infomercials for operators and distributors made to generate hype and
>encourage advance orders for new machines. He claims Cinematronics, Sega,
and
>Atari all had promo video tapes running at the 1980-83 CES and AMOA shows
that
>showed games that were soon to be released, but were not in production yet.
He
>claims they also sent these to various distributors and operators (but he
also
>said they were in Beta format so thay won't work on your modern VCR). (I
can
>easily run a beta-vhs copy, though). He specifically mentioned "Star Trek",
>Zektor", "Red Baron", "Armor Attack", and "Tempest", but says there are
many
>others on the tapes that he can't remeber, and some of which NEVER made it
>production as far as he knows.
> Has anyone seen these? Do they really exist? I don't know if I want to
>risk $100 to get a bunch of stuff that might end up being "How to beat
Atari
>VCS games..." starring some funny looking guy in a green polyester suit.
Any
>advice would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Michael Kelley

Sega did produce a TV comercial for Zaxxon.

Promo tapes for shows would be likely. It is common at recent conventions
for the distributors / manufacters to "rent" spots on the hotel TV channels
& run "infomercials" or promo ads for their equipment. Williams/Midway has
a entire division that does video production now.

I have not seen anything else similar to this but it is possible. Atari
still produces 5 minute videos now that it ships to ops & distributors
(Vapor TRX & Area 51 site 4 etc...).

The Beta tapes might be in poor shape now, can he prove they are good
quality? (That would give you a chance to verify they are Coin Op too!).

So you do have a Beta huh? I had 2 but left the with the x-girlfriend long
ago.

Kev Mowerman@erols.com >>REMOVE THE ? to REPLY

Looking for Pac-Man related hacks & Video Game Flyers

COIN OP PAGE -> http://www.erols.com/mowerman