Re: Asteroids Rom questions

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Thu Feb 04 1999 - 04:12:32 EST

You use whatever the board has sockets for. Some statuses
had the small sockets for the PROMs and others had the
large sockets for the EPROMs. Usually the board won't
have both sets of sockets installed.

If you use EPROMs, try to get faster ones. A 450 nS part
will be marginal on this game, a 350 nS will feel right at home.
PROMs on the other hand are usually closer to 50 nS access
time so the board has no problem with them. A marginal speed
EPROM will work when cool, but may fail when it warms up.
EPROMs get slower as they get hotter, PROMs are the
opposite.