Re: Tempest Spinner Question

From: Technoid <technoid_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 13:26:19 EST

>Where are the bearings???

Sorry,
    Ok I have a Tempest spinner in my hand that is going into my MAME
project.... At the top and bottom there are plastic (Teflon?) bushings. I
really doubt these are bad unless their broken or missing (fell out). How
ever I did notice the there are two set screws that hold the whole
flywheel/encoder wheel assembly to the shaft. See Picture
http://homepages.infoseek.com/~jaywilkinson/Spinner.jpg. Loosen these (mine
uses a 3/32" allen wrench) and adjust it up (or down but I doubt it)
accordingly. I've tried it and it works. Also be sure and adjust it in it's
normal orientation (i.e. not upside down)!!!

Most of the spinners in other games that I've looked at had the optical
board adjustable instead. And I've looked at every one that my local
operator has! Also my 4 1/2" trackball which uses larger (but electronically
the same) optical sensors has slides for adjustment.

      Thanks,
         Jay Wilkinson
technoid@bellsouth.net
jaywilkinson@bellsouth.net