RE: Lunar Lander Test Mode? Anyone?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Feb 18 1999 - 12:54:20 EST

> This is a crazy idea, but I've got a Negcon driving controller (by
> Namco for
> the Playstation) with analog buttons on it. (These are used for
> gas/brake, you
> can push a little to accelerate a little, brake a little, or a lot).
> Maybe
> there is some way to convert this idea to a standard size Atari
> Asteroids
> button. When you want to play 'stroids, you could simply switch the
> analog
> button with the standard button.

I was actually trying to figure out how to make the Thrust button analog
as well. Since it's one of those plastic plunger-types hitting a leaf
switch I figured I could attach something to the bottom of the button
(like a piece of foil tape with a gradient printed on it) and then use
an opto emitter/detector to read an analog voltage from the reflection
off the tape. Or maybe a strain-gauge on the leaf switch? I couldn't
think of anything particularly robust and easy to make though... I'm
open to suggestions!

(Hmmmm... what about mounting a potentiometer to the bottom of the
button? Turn the button to adjust the thrust? Be kinda neat... ;-)

-Clay