RE: Rate Multiplier BD? What do I have?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Feb 18 1999 - 14:17:25 EST

> The middle row of chips (which were labeled K8, J8, H8 and F8, all
> socketed and all empty), all four of these chips had pins on the
> solder
> side that would fit into another (Asteroids) board.

Yep, I'll officially go on the record and say that that's definately a
replacement daughtercard for the 7497 chips and has nothing to do with
speed-ups or anything. ;-) I bet that the empty sockets are meant to be
empty-- they're probably just supposed to connect down to the main
Asteroids board.

> Clay, if you want to mess around with it, I'd be willing to send
> (lend) it
> to you. I admit that I don't know anything about electronics, but I'm
>
> trying to learn (it's coming very slow, most of the posts on this list
> are
> completely Greek (or should I say "geek") to me).

I'd take a look at it and read out the contents of the PROMs if you want
to send it my way. I'd wager a guess that they're the same as on later
rev Asteroids boards... Up to you, just let me know and I'll send an
address for you. If you need it back anytime soon though you might want
to send it to someone else since I'm up to my eyeballs in other projects
and probably wouldn't get to it real quick...

-Clay