RE: Lunar Lander Test Mode? Anyone?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 00:36:45 EST

> Why not do both? The PIC16C73 has a built-in 8-bit A/D (with an
> internal reference) that ought to work very nicely for this sort of
> thing,
> and more than enough I/O lines for the task... then just make it a
> jumper-selectable option on the board, to either use an analog 0-5V
> input
> or the two-button scheme.

I was looking at the 16C7x today for that purpose, but it's a little
big-- 28 pin package (with 22 I/O's) and a tad more expensive.

After a little thought though, I might have a "free" solution after all.
I'm adding a POKEY chip for the sound in Ast. Deluxe... The 'PO' in
POKEY stands for "Pots". Might be able to use that as a free A/D. If
not though, I think I'll stick with a 16C54 or an AT90S2313 or AT89C2051
for the thrust controller-- cheaper than a 16C7x... (Well, probably not
the 2051's, but I've got a lot from a previous project that never made
it out.)

Oh, I got Deluxe running on a stock Asteroids board w/out incident.
(Ridiculously simple really-- just plugged the whole ROM into the CPU
Get Well board and it came up fine. No POKEY yet though, so everything
comes at you from the same direction. ;-)