Re: Lunar Lander on Asteroids. :-)

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_Agouron.COM>
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 12:26:24 EST

MKDUD@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/18/99 8:08:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> ClayC@diamondmm.com writes:
>
> << There's some neat ideas for Asteroids "patches" floating around too-- >>
>
> I allways thought it would be great to have a feature in Asteroids or
> Deluxe that awarded the player some big bonus pts for "escorting" another ship
> through the Asteroids. Kind of like a crossbow type scenario where the player
> is rewarded for getting the other friendly ship safely from one side of the
> screen to the other.
> You could use the same motion routine that the UFO's use - either
> traveling right>left or left>right, only the ship could look different. This
> could only happen while the screen is a bit crowded, with no less than 10
> rocks on the screen.
> What does everybody think of this idea??

Actually, as I couldn't sleep last night, all sorts of Asteroids
variations started to pop into my head (like I don't have enough to
worry about ;-):

Fuel counter (a la Gravitar, Space War, and LL):
        Burn fuel when thrust
        Burn larger amount of fuel when you fire
        Replentish fuel at the end of each wave
        Carry over spare fuel to next level
        You float helplessly when fuel runs out
        Bonus:
        When you kill a saucer, it leaves little fuel pod behind
        You pick it up when you run over it.
        If a rock hits it, it does a lot of damage to all the local rocks (and
you ;-)

Positioning thrusters
        Change the rotate left and right buttons to rotating thrust
                ie, you keep rotating until you thrust the other way
        Add inertial damping like with the forward thrust
        Should make it much more of a control game

Really cool rotating rocks
        We have access to a LOT more memory that they did back then...
        ...why not prerender a lot more rotational positions for the
        rocks?

Bouncing rocks
        When big rocks collide, they split and bounce
        When small rocks collide, they just bounce

Ray