G08 questions? Flamproof Resistors and Fuse values?

From: <Thomas43_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 15:20:35 EST

I just picked up a Space Fury coctail with a dead monitor. I tested th
deflection transistors and found one dead. After replacing it, the monitor
came up, but the top half of the screen is collapsed down into a line in the
middle of the screen.

 I searched Deja News and found a post about resistor 736 burning up. So, I
located the resistor on the bottom of the main board and replaced it. I fired
up the monitor, and it looked great for about 2 minutes, then the resistor
burned up again. The post I found, suggests replacing an MPSU10 that is right
near this resistor. First, does anyone know a modern replacement for MPSU10?
And......Would replacing the resistors with Flame-proof models, keep the board
from getting torched when it fails again?

Also, the manual calls for 3 amp fuses, and the board is labeled to use 4 amp
fuses. Would putting in the lower value or even a 2 amp help protect the
monitor from fires, or are the fuses just there for looks? I would have
expected them to blow when I had shorted transistors? Are the resistor hacks
on this monitor, designed to act like fuses?

Another note of stupidity on my part. The screen was a little off center, so
I turned the centering pot. I guess I went in the wrong direction. Instantly
I saw a bright light and flames start to come up from one of the input
protection boards. I hit the power switch in less than a second, but the
resistor had basically disappeared. Spinal Tap style!!! All that was left
were the two wires where it was soldered to the board....and of course a nice
charcol stain on the board. It shorted two deflection transistors , but didnt
hurt anything else. I just replace the resistor and the two transistors and
it started working again....Lesson learned!!!

P.S. If anyone has an Eliminator Security chip, I would glady buy or trade
for it.

Scott