Re: G08 questions? Flamproof Resistors and Fuse values?

From: Matt Rossiter - Verio Southern California <matt_at_rossiters.com>
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 16:14:18 EST

This problem is so common that I wonder if Sega just shipped their Space
fury cocktails this way. First off - I'd check *all* of the transistors
on the "Y" side - particularly Q601-606. Q605 and 606 are located on the
vertically mounted PCBs. The first Space Fury coctail I worked on had a
bad solder joint underneath the "Y" vertical mounted PCB - which caused
one of the Q601-Q604 transistors to burn out and leave the bottom portion
blanked out. If one of those transistors burns out - it will probably
burn out another component. I replaced the MPSu10 with some NTE
equivalents and it's been pretty solid ever since. I don't remember the
part numbers though (I think NTE290 or 171). They're a couple bucks a
piece (of course) so you might want to find some higher rated ones that
are more available and cheaper.

The one thing I would *definitely* do is check the solder joints and even
reflow some solder over any joint that looks suspicious. These monitors
look more like high-school projects than something a company would
mass-produce.

Matt

                              V E R I O
             Orange County . Los Angeles . San Diego

Matthew J. Rossiter email: mrossiter@verio.net
Customer Services Engineer http://socal.verio.net
8001 Irvine Center Drive Phone: 800.273.5600
Suite 1200 Phone: 949.450.8400
Irvine, CA 92618-2934 Fax: 949.450.8410
                                   24 hour Tech Support: 888.306.4638