Re: WG6100 Question - Ongoing

From: Kurt Mahan <kmahan_at_xmission.com>
Date: Wed Mar 17 1999 - 23:35:53 EST

> Thanks for the tip, but if you could supply a clarification...
>
> The TO-3 socket is on the OTHER side of the chasis. The screw holes in the
> chases are just plain drilled holes, no special insulation, so the screw has
> to pass through the TO-3, through the chases, and THEN into the TO-3 socket.
> I can't imaging how the screws could NOT touch the chasis.
>
> How is it that where the screw passes through the chasis, that it does not
> short out?

Well, try just inserting the socket onto the chassis -- notice that if
you insert the screw it is kept in the center of the hole -- its not
shorting to the chassis. If you put the mica insulator on (lots of heat
goop), put the transistor on and press everything together, you should be
able to insert the screw and not have it shorting to the chassis.

(Make sure to use a VOM to confirm, though.)

Kurt