Re: Reproduction Updates.

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Fri Mar 19 1999 - 15:35:07 EST

>5) Cinematronics -> Wells Gardner Monitor Adapter (price not set, bur
>probably about $50)

Hi Clay,

Back on the topic of a generic Vector Generator. After rethinking all the
possibilities I've come to agree with the suggestion Paul K. had a zillion years
ago, just do what Cinematronics did.

You got to admit it's the simplest, it also allows vectors to start and stop
anywhere, so it can emulate any of the platforms out there, and it's dirt
simple. It currently supports 1024 by 768 starting position using 12 bit DACs,
but I supposed that could be increased by using higher res DACs.

I only bring this up because if you build a Cinematronics -> Wells Gardner
adapter, you will have built a generic Vector Generator. It will need about 26
bits of I/O to interface, but it can be interfaced by any CPU with the I/O. (PC
/ MAC / Amiga, etc.)

A simple ISA 26 bit parallel card might make things easier, but it's not
mandatory, you could simply use multiple parallel adapter cards if desired.

The most difficult part would be vector start and stop timing, this is some
critical timing and would have to be controlled precisely by the driving CPU.
This could make the drivers time consuming, and possibly not work under Windows.
If something like an AVR where added to deal with the vector timing issues, this
VG could be run from something as simple as an original 8088 PC! (Well, only if
you wanted to write original games only, you'll need at least a 486 if you want
to do emulation of existing games.)

Either way, count me in on the Cinematronics -> Wells Gardner (with or without
the extra timing control).

Count me in for a Tempest Multikit (or two) also.

-Zonn