RE: Reproduction Updates.

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Mar 19 1999 - 15:14:52 EST

> How do you get overlays printed? It sounds like you are making a huge
> bitmap on a computer with the talk about fonts. What program are you
> using? So if I wanted to make my own reproduction overlay, what would
> need to do? The art is not a problem, since I work as an artist for a
> video game company here in San Diego and I use Photoshop
> extensively...but
> what is the next step? Where can I get a bitmap turned into an
> adhesive
> overlay for $35?? One other thing I would like to do is get a
> thin cardboard replacement for the Space Duel cocktail silkscreened
> glass
> artwork made, like the ones they sell for Ms. Pac-Man cocktails.

When we do screen printing everything is usually vector-based (like
Adobe Illustrator) and not bitmap based (like Photoshop). Colors are
usually specified by something like Pantone for particular areas of the
image, but that depends a lot on the particular company doing the work.

The MultiPac marquee for example is seven color (double-hit on black).
Additional shades are produced by half-toning in the screens.

We've done large bitmap outputs though too (usually delivered in a Jaz
cartridge 'cause they're several hundred megabytes depending on
resolution and DPI) which were then adhesive bonded to a lexan material.
Die cuts can be pretty expensive, so we tend to keep things rectangular
as much as possible. They look really nice-- don't know how durable in
the long run though...

-Clay