Aliens update

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 21:19:22 EST

Hi all,

Just a little update on the Aliens/Vortex prototypes and Tempest
Multigame...

I've been tracking my way through the Vortex code and have it running
happily along on stock Tempest hardware now. The screen will not flip
for cocktail mode (sorry). The earlier Aliens code version is also
working (albeit it very, very hard!). Ever think what Tempest would be
like without auto-fire? Ugh.

Both Aliens/Vortex games have sound, although it doesn't seem any
different from "stock" Tempest. The title screen to Vortex is *really*
cool too, which just tickles me to no end. (My business partner from
college and I have a development company called "Vortex Development
Team, Inc.")

Anyway... Protoboards for the Multigame came in today, so I guess I know
what I'll be working on tonight. *grin*

I added a little touch to the board I'm rather proud of-- check out:
http://www.multigame.com/temp_pre.JPG

Kinda like having wet-cement to play in...

The other question I need to answer is whether of not I should plan on a
"small" or "large" run of boards for Tempest Multigame kits. If you
think you'd like one, please drop me a note by e-mail to
clayc@diamondmm.com (try not to reply to this message lest all of
Vectorlist get spammed. ;-)

I'm planning to do an ~$80 (depends on number of boards-- maybe $75?)
pre-order special. Then probably turn it loose on RGVAC for $99. It's
looking pretty simple to install at the moment-- plug in two
daughtercards, tack two wires down to the main PCB.

Should be Tempest Rev.1, Rev.2, and Rev. 3, "Tubes", Aliens 4 (Vortex),
and Aliens 5 (earlier), plus the software menu system.

-Clay