Re: PC power supply conversion question

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_Agouron.COM>
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 11:45:26 EDT

Mark Jenison wrote:

> On Apr 16, 9:32am, Mike Benedict wrote:
> > Subject: RE: PC power supply conversion question
> > At 16:57 04/15/1999 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> > >As a general rule I like switchers for regulation and high-current in a
> > >small space. I have run across some boards that don't like the
> > >switchers start-up characteristics. (I think some switchers faster
> > >start-up ramp causes latch-up on some boards. Sky Shark and Choplifter
> > >have given me problems in particular...) The lack of a 5.0V adjust on
> > >most switchers can be annoying, but by and large the benefits outweigh
> > >the problems in my book.
> >
> > Sounds like a definite "your mileage may vary". :-)
>
> Personally, I've had no luck in putting a switching power supply in ANY game
> that wasn't JAMMA.

I've had other experiences. Big Ass PC Switchers (TM) have worked great
for me in everything I've tried them in (mainly raster). Depending on
the power supply, you have to play games with loading and the voltage
feedback line.

Works great in Robotron, Defender, Dig Dug, my universal cabinet, test
rig, yada yada.

Only thing I haven't done is vector stuff, but the sega vector stuff
looks ideally suited to switchers.

I *definitely* recommend a modern PC supply over the Williams power
supplies. I've lost too many RAM chips and motherboards to regulators
deciding they wanted to retire after 20 years.

Ray