RE: PC power supply conversion question

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 12:51:59 EDT

> IMHO, it is morally wrong to power any audio amp -- even the
> cheezy ones in video games, off of anything but a linear supply.

Danger Vectorlist! Danger! Audiophile on mailing list! (Just kidding
;-)

For what it's worth, most audio system design is *really* shitty on old
game boards. If you look at the audio outputs of a Gauntlet (which was a
"recent" game compared to some Vectors) Atari hung all sorts of caps and
filter crap onto the output just to try to get it sounding decent. I
replaced my "stock" Gauntlet cabs big-crappy 6x9's with some surplus
Onkyo components (Gauntlet is my "ain't ever going to be stock again, so
I don't feel bad about messing with it" cab). With decent speakers you
get all sorts of processor noise and hiss and crap on the audio outputs.
Ugly. I ended up installing a car EQ/amp inside and notching out the
bad harmonics. One of these days I'm going to tear into the audio
section and try bringing up all the audio outputs and mix them on a
separate PCB and try to clean up the sound.

(FWIW, JAMMA games playing from the same power supply/amp/speakers sound
great-- it's just Gauntlet...)

-Clay